October 5, 2018
Per-Diem Recreation Therapist
Jewish Family Service of Central NJ
655 Westfield Avenue
Elizabeth, NJ 07208
Job Title & Description:
Per diem Recreation Therapist needed to be a part of an Alzheimer’s and Related Dementia day program.
One day/week with the possibility of more hours.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation
• Certification by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation
• Knowledge of or experience working with individuals who have Alzheimer’s disease and/or a related dementia
• Current knowledge of best practices in Therapeutic Recreation.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with participants and families from diverse backgrounds who may themselves have barriers to desired functioning.
• Bilingual Spanish preferred
• Assist in planning, organizing and directing a therapeutic socialization and recreation program to include activities such as art, current events, physical exercise, and music.
• Conduct group and individual recreation activities according to participant’s needs, capabilities and interests; determine and implement necessary precautions in exercising responsibility for the care and safety of participants.
• Assist in the selection, distribution, maintenance, storage, evaluation and purchase of recreational supplies and equipment.
• Assist in supervising and coordinating the work of individual and group volunteers.
• All other duties as assigned.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to Jobs@JFSCentralNJ.org
Recreation Therapist/Child Life Specialist
Children's Specialized Hospital
Toms River, NJ
Dual Certified required - CTRS & CCLS
Assess, plan, implement and evaluate therapeutic, educational and diversionary recreation services to restore, remediate and|or rehabilitate effects if illness and disability. Through the provision of therapy, programs, resources, and support staff work with patients to encourage the development of satisfying recreational interests and skills for participation in community recreational programs. Also assesses, plans, implements and evaluates child life services to meet the therapeutic, educational and|or diversional needs of the patient, facilitating adjustment to illness|disability|hospitalization|painful procedures
Essential Job Functions
* Performs developmentally|functionally appropriate assessment according to standards of practice to determine course of treatment. Plan, implement and evaluates treatment plans.
* Completes all documentation on time according to hospital and department policies. Goals are written in functional and measurable terms.
* Conducts individual sessions, team treats, procedural support and patient family teaching in a developmentally and culturally appropriate manner. Actively supports principles of pain management.
* Evaluates Child Life services and makes recommendations to improve patient and program outcomes.
* Treatment plan reflects collaboration and communication with patient, family and team. Discharge planning involves school re-integration services when appropriate.
* Develop treatment plans reflecting collaboration and communication with patient, family and team. Provide discharge planning services including the provision of developmental and|or community organizational resources.
* Develop, coordinate and implement appropriate programming for a variety of age and diagnostic groups, matching development level, interests and abilities.
* Effectively utilizes and supervises volunteers and visiting groups.
* Assist with coordinating outpatient recreational programs. Coordinate a minimum of one special event a year.
* Supervises and|or assists student interns as designated.
* Assist with personal, department and hospital growth and development through involvement in research, professional organizations and presentations to promote best practice and maintain certification
* Assist with the coordination of programs and projects enabling the department and hospital to meet the mission and meet or exceed their goals.
* Maintain recreation areas, equipment, storage and supplies in a safe efficient manner.
|Dual Certified is required - CTRS & CCLS
Formal Education and Job-Related Experience
* Ability to plan activities and adapt to the environment to suit a variety of disabling conditions. Tact, enthusiasm, initiative and professional judgment in performance of duties. Member of ATRA or NTRS preferred
* NCTRC Certified or eligible. Child Life Certification. AHA BLS Provider Certification required.
* NJ State Driver’s License
Education and Experience - Additional Comments
* Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation with rehabilitation or therapeutic recreation emphasis, from an accredited program. Completion of a pediatric affiliation or work experience with pediatrics in both Child Life and Recreation.
For more information about this position and to apply,
please click here.